Thursday, November 13, 2014

Hump Day

On the way in, we told ourselves we wouldn't stay late.  We want to spend time with our kids but we also want to go to bed at a decent time and possibly do an errand or chore even.  We've said this multiple times before, but typically its still after 11pm when we leave.  Today it was close to midnight.  If you've never had a NICU baby, you might find it surprising to learn they are on a very strict schedule.  Ours get "care" every 3 hours.  Care includes feeding, changing diaper, oral care, suctioning their lungs and mouth to get "goobers" repositioning sensors and anything else they may need to do.  Logistical issues prevented Trish from doing Kangaroo Care until the 10pm care but was supposed to be limited to 1 hour.  When that time came though, Scarlett was hogging all the attention, because shortly before 10, her neo-bar came off her face and the intubation tube was pulled out, essentially extubating herself.  I was sitting in a chair talking with Trish when the alarm sounded and showed her having a bradycardia and a destat (her heart beat slowing down significantly, in her case from around 155 to 60 or 80s AND her oxygen levels dipping).  I don't remember what her exact numbers were because I've learned that its OK to panic when both alarms are going off, so I jumped up and moved to her area.  Unfortunately, these episodes have become a little old hat for me, so I asked if I could stay by her side and when the nurse said it was up to me, I knew I was ready for it.  I did my best to cheer her on and coach her up to stay strong and to be a big girl and breathe for me.  There was an entire team in there, including the NNP (Neonatal Nurse Practioner), Respiratory Therapist, Scarlett's nurse, and 2 other nurses.  One of those nurses roles was to record the event, what time things happened. Afterwards, the nurse showed me where these events matched up with her heart rate and oxygen levels.  She did AWESOME!  After the extubation, she quickly rebounded to an oxygen level more than 85 and stayed like that through the whole process until she was reintubated.

The only other news from today is that Scarlett is showing signs of an infection.  Her white blood and immature cells are elevated, and her CRP levels are really high.  They are doing a blood culture but put both babies on more antibiotics.

Here is a pic where Trish held Grayon tonight:

 And here is a picture the nurses took of him wearing a hat that one of the nurses made:

And here is a picture of Scarlett wearing a second hat:

7 comments:

  1. If I had $1 for every night we said we weren't going to stay late... ;)
    Hang in there guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still praying every night for these little buggers! and for you and Trish also. They are precious...love the hats! lol <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read the first few lines of the post, I was reminded of a saying I have often seen on posters...the last four lines are the famous ones. So I googled it and actually found the whole poem. (I added the "her")

    "BABIES DON’T KEEP"

    Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
    Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
    Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
    Sew on a button and butter the bread.
    Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
    She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
    Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
    Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
    Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
    Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo
    The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
    And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
    But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo
    Look! Aren’t his/her eyes the most wonderful hue?
    Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.
    The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
    But children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
    So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
    I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.
    Author: Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

    So don't worry about the chores...but do get some rest for yourselves so you can be healthy for your babies. Grayson looks so comfortable in Kangaroo care with Trish. Can't wait for Scarlett to get her turn. We are storming heaven with prayers for improving health for the babies and strength for you and Trish. You are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at that happy mommy! :@) we're always praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go, Scarlett, go!! Awesome twins!! Just a line I remember from a magazine...I'm sitting here rocking my new tiny one (ones!), closing my eyes to the day's work not done. These moments are precious, I want them to last... Prayers are constantly supporting your little family. I love the smile on Trish's face. Blessings and love for the day. Get some sleep ��.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the picture of seeing Trish and how comfy that Grayson looks there! Tim - I am personally so proud of you and your strength to be there to cheer Scarlett on- I am just imaging the scene and know one thing- that took amazing COURAGE! I am so proud of Trish- and her natural mothering- it is so evident in this picture- she looks so comfortable and confident! So I must say- THANKS BE TO GOD! today for answering my prayers. I prayed so many times yesterday- Dear Lord, give these parents strength and courage. AND HE DID!
    Many more prayers your way today. We pray specifically that the babies will be free from infection and make a small step today forward in this journey.

    Matthew has found great interest in the twins' story and while at 5 years old- I need to be careful on how much information he has and what he sees - I do give him updates- as he continues to ask. He continues to offer them up in bed time prayers as the first on his list. So Tim if you can deliver a message to those sweet babies- we are praying our hearts out- Love, Matthew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, amen! A great post from Beth. I have always thought that God is especially attentive to the prayers of children. Keep praying, Matthew.

      Delete